Rashad Ahmedzade: "At Obraztsovfest we performed in Russian for the first time"
Moscow is hosting the 9th Sergey Obraztsov International Festival of Puppet Theaters 'Obraztsovfest', dedicated to the Year of Culture in the CIS. Yesterday, the Abdulla Shaig Azerbaijan State Puppet Theatre presented the philosophical parable 'White and Black' about a blind orphan, staged by Kamran Shahmardan. This play shows that the light can be seen even in the dark, and that you don't need eyes to see the good. Director of the theater Rashad Ahmedzade told Vestnik Kavkaza about the performance and the festival.
- How did you came up with the White and Black play?
- Director Kamran Shahmardan is our compatriot who lives in Finland. He has his own theater there, and he often gives puppet and drama performances in Russian cities. The White and Black play tells us that even in the most difficult moments we have to see the light with our inner vision.
It's our first time when we participate in the Obraztsovfest festival, but we have performed on this stage before, in particular, during the Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Russia in 1996.
Today we performed White and Black in Russian for the first time. We traveled halfway round the world with this performance, we were in Russia, in Ivanovo, but we performed in Azerbaijani. And today there was the premiere in Russian!
I want to thank the managment of the theater, the organizers of the festival, all the citizens for the warm reception. We always feel at home here. We invite everyone to visit Baku. You will definitely like Baku.
- You presented the symbol of your theater to the Obraztsov Theater Museum. What is it?
- This is Cirtdan (the little boy - one of the most popular children's characters of Azerbaijani fairy tales - VK). There are fairy tales that have become classics for puppet theaters. Our theater is the same age as the Obraztsov Theater. We received the status of a state a little bit later, in 1964, but the theater was created in 1931. Cirtdan was our favorite fairy tale from the first day of the theater's work. As long as the puppet theater lives, Cirtdan will be with us.
- The next year is anniversary both for the Obraztsov Theater and for the Abdulla Shaig Azerbaijan State Puppet Theatre. Do you have any ideas how the celebrate the date?
- We will mark our anniversary in the 2021, not the next year, because the Obraztsov Theater and our theater were created in 1931. When we celebrated our 85th anniversary, the celebrations were massive - we held events in different parts of the republic within a whole month. I think the 90th anniversary will be also widely celebrated.
- How popular is your art among Baku people?
- There are only five state puppet theaters in Azerbaijan. The central one is ours. It is located in a beautiful place - on Baku Boulevard. We always have a lot of spectators. Every two or three months we stage a new play in order not to lose our spectators, so that the audience loves us more and more every day. We do our best.
- Do you attend performances of other puppet theaters at the festival?
- Of course. We like all the performances here. We know how difficult it is to work with dolls. Therefore, we watch every performance with pleasure.