Stanislav Pozdnyakov: "Azerbaijan has an opportunity to beсome one of the most significant sports regions"
Vestnik Kavkaza spoke with President of the Russian Olympic Committee Stanislav Pozdnyakov about the outcome of the 15th Summer European Youth Olympic Festival held in Azerbaijan and preparations for the upcoming 37th Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championship in Baku.
- Stanislav Alekseyevich, first of all, what do you think the 15th Summer European Youth Olympic Festival in Baku?
- These competitions in Baku were held at a very high level. Azerbaijan's Organizing Committee has traditionally shown professionalism and competence in hosting international competitions. In addition, sports facilities that were offered to our young athletes got the highest praise from trainers and specialists. I'm sure that with this approach, Azerbaijan has an opportunity to become one of the most significant regions in the development of sports.
- How is preparation of the Russian team for the Rhythmic Gymnastics World Championship is going?
- Traditionally, our athletes are preparing hard at the Novogorsk base. I'm sure that Championship will be held at a very high level. We really hope that our athletes will show their skills, just like they did in previous years, because the All-Russian Federation of Rhythmic Gymnastics is one of the biggest, consistent, and successfully performing. We look forward to brilliant performance from our athletes both at the World Championships in Baku and at the Olympics in Tokyo.
- Do Russian and Azerbaijani Olympic Committees cooperate?
- We have wonderful relationship. The Azerbaijani Olympic Committee is part of an informal group of Olympic Committees with which we have extremely close contacts. Literally at the beginning of next week we will meet in Kyrgyzstan to discuss current agenda of our joint activities and preparations for Tokyo.
- And what about Gymnastic Federations of our countries?
- As for the Azerbaijan Gymnastics Federation, this federation is significant for us. Successes of rhythmic gymnasts over the past few years have made this federation special, and, of course, Russian Olympic Committee is doing everything possible within its competence to assist Azerbaijan.