152 people poisoned after children open industrial drum containing toxic chemicals in Turkey
152 people, including at least 23 children, were hospitalized with chemical poisoning on Monday after children opened an industrial drum containing unknown chemicals in Akbaş village in southeastern Siirt province, Daily Sabah reports.
The Siirt governorate said in a statement later Monday that the people were affected by a chlorine gas leak from an old industrial drum.
It added that 92 people out of the 152 are currently undergoing treatment for decontamination and poisoning at Siirt State Hospital, while 60 others are being treated at medical tents erected by Turkish Red Crescent (Kızılay).
After hearing about the incident, the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) teams, health care teams and Kızılay came to the scene to investigate the leak.