Ankara to take Khashoggi case to international court

Ankara to take Khashoggi case to international court

Turkey is ready to take the case regarding the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to an international court if necessary, Turkey’s Minister of Justice Abdulhamit Gul said.

"We’ve conducted technical and legal measures. Hence, should the relevant decision be made, the case will be passed to an international court," the Haberturk TV channel cited him as saying.

The minister noted that it is a brutal murder that needs to be solved, with no efforts to hush up the case. Gul added that Riyadh "should act constructively, but Ankara does not see such behavior on its part."

Khashoggi, known for his criticism of Saudi Arabia's policies, left his home country and moved to the United States in 2017. He worked for The Washington Post, analyzing the situation in Saudi Arabia and the country’s foreign policy. On October 20, Saudi authorities announced that the journalist died in a fight in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the murder had been carefully planned. The international community condemned Khashoggi’s murder and called for a transparent investigation.

5725 views





Populars