Gvaramia charged with misspending of funds

Gvaramia charged with misspending of funds

 Former Director General of Rustavi 2 Nika Gvaramia, who previously served as the country’s minister of justice, has been summoned to the Prosecutor’s Office to be charged with the misspending of the funds of the channel which was returned to its former owner in July.

Earlier in August Gvaramia was charged with abuse of power, causing a serious financial damage to the opposition-minded channel.

The Prosecutor’s Office reports that in January 2015 Gvaramia signed an agreement with LTD Intermedia+, on behalf of Rustavi 2, to allow the LTD place ads on the channel.

Intermedia was obliged to transfer 90-95% of the profit gained from commercials to Rustavi 2 and retain only the remaining 10 or 5% for its service.

The Prosecutor’s Office stated that after former owner of Rustavi 2 Kibar Khalvashi filed a lawsuit to regain his shares back in August 2015, Gvaramia, a Financial Director of Rustavi 2 Kakhaber Damenia and head of Intermedia + Zurab Iashvili agreed to transfer fewer money to Rustavi 2.

"Through the step the channel suffered 6,763,509 GEL ($2.3 million) loss," Agenda.ge cited the Prosecutor’s Office as saying.

The Prosecutor’s Office stated that in exchange for the "benefit for Intermedia" Gvaramia received two flats in Tbilisi from the LTD head Iashvili.

The Prosecutor’s Office reports that to "conceal the illegality regarding the deal and the flats," Gvaramia and Iashvili fabricated documents.

The Prosecutor’s Office reports that Damenia will be charged with misspending of funds, while Iashvili will face charged for bribery and fabrication of documents.

4185 views


Vestnik Kavkaza

on YouTube

Subscribe



Populars