Three suspects detained in connection to Utrecht shooting
Flags flew at half mast on government buildings across the Netherlands today, a day after a gunman opened fire on a tram on the outskirts of Utrecht, killing three people.
A suspect - 37-year-old Gokmen Tanis - was detained after a seven-hour manhunt on Monday, and by Dutch law must be brought before a judge by Thursday.
Authorities said they were still trying to establish the motive for the attack in the quiet residential neighborhood which also wounded five people.
Utrecht police announced on its Twitter account that two additional suspects in the attack have been detained, but did not release additional details.
Regional police commissioner Rob van Bree said on a late night talk show that there was no connection known yet between the suspect and the victims, while Prime Minister Mark Rutte said "terrorist" motives could still not be ruled out.
But in an evening press conference, Utrecht’s top prosecutor, Rutger Jeuken, said family issues could also be involved.
The suspect had previously been arrested, Jeuken said, without giving further details.
There was no immediate comment from Tanis or any lawyer representing him, Reuters reported.