Tehran works of brilliant Russian architect
When it comes to Iran's modern architecture, we recall a few typical buildings in Tehran and its environs - the Alborz High School, the post office, the Dar ul-Funun School, the Fakhr Al-dawla mosque, the Orthodox Church, the Varamin Sugar Refinery Factory, the Amjadiyeh Stadium and others. Looking into these projects, we see that all of them were created by a Russian native, who managed to preserve the architecture of Iran during the transition period thanks to his great interest in the Iranian architecture. This was written by the Iranian Ambassador to Russia Mehdi Sanai on his Facebook page.
Being a follower of the then-widespread art deco style, Nikolai Markov combined this style with the Iranian culture to create and build buildings and facilities that can be called a strong link between the old and new architecture of Iran.
Elements of Russian, Iranian and Byzantine traditions are intertwined in Markov's works. This combination has become an outstanding example and distinctive feature of Markov's architecture.
Nikolay Markov was born in Tiflis (Tbilisi) in 1882 and died in 1957 in Tehran. He was an outstanding Russian architect of the early 20th century in Iran.
Markov graduated as an architect, and then learned the Persian language in St. Petersburg. Being fascinated by Iran, after graduation and the start of the Russian Revolution of 1917, he moved to Iran, choosing this country as his second homeland.