Ekhtibar Aliyev: "At the Spasskaya Tower Festival we will do our best to represent Azerbaijan in all its glory”
On August 23, in Moscow, a grandiose ‘battle’ of the army orchestras of different countries- the Spasskaya Tower Festival - will take place for the love and enthusiasm of the audience. The combination of military, classical, folk and pop music, ceremonial defile of military bands and dance shows, weapon demonstrations, laser and pyrotechnic effects have long made the festival a vivid and memorable spectacle. This year, the orchestra of Azerbaijan’s Higher Military School named after Heydar Aliev, created in 1992 on the basis of the Baku Joint Command School, will perform at the Spasskaya Tower Festival for the first time. The head of the orchestra, Colonel Ekhtibar Aliyev, told Vestnik Kavkaza about the preparations for the festival.
- In a week, in Moscow, the festival of the world military bands will begin, in which you will take part for the first time. How do debutants feel?
- Before an important occasion, every musician feels a lot of tension. Our friends, colleagues from other countries will present very strong teams. We will also try to show ourselves in all our glory. The day after tomorrow our team will fly to Moscow on an airplane designated by the Azerbaijani Minister of Defense. The team consists of an orchestra, 50 + 1 people, and a choreographic group - the team of the State Song and Dance Ensemble of Azerbaijan. 85 people in total.
- How are the preparations for the performance going?
- The preparation is already completed. All organizational issues were resolved. The Russian side always perfectly welcomes its guests and creates excellent working conditions. The closure of the International Army Games in the Patriot Park will take place on August 17, the Azerbaijani team participates in the games. Some of our representatives, including those from the State Song and Dance Ensemble, are already in Moscow. They will stay there and join us at the Spasskaya Tower Festival.
- What surprises does Azerbaijan have?
- It's a secret. But in addition to the festival, our team will also perform in parks. Surprises will be everywhere.
Although Ekhtibar Aliyev refused to reveal secrets, we shall notice that the repertoire of the orchestra of Azerbaijan’s Higher Military School consists of works by Azerbaijani and foreign composers, with jazz and pop compositions prevailing. This is explained by the fact that the conductor of the orchestra, Fariz Mamedzade, is a saxophonist.