Olzhas Suleimenov: "It's important that no country calls Karabakh a part of Armenia"
The 4th Eurasian literary festival "LIFFT-2019" has ended in Baku on October 3. It was held under the auspices of the UN program "Year of Indigenous Languages" and dedicated to the 650th anniversary of the great Azerbaijani poet Imadaddin Nasimi. As part of the festival, readers were able to meet famous Kazakh poet, the Hero of Labor of Kazakhstan, the national writer of the Kazakh SSR, public and political figure Olzhas Suleimenov at the Baku Book Center. Vestnik Kavkaza spoke with Olzhas Suleimenov on the sidelines of this event.
- During the meetin with your fans you said that Azerbaijan has a very rich cultural environment, what did you mean by that?
- It can be seen In people who embody and express this culture, fill this environment. I know many people there, not only Anar, but also, for example, Bakhtiyar Vagabzadeh, who also left us, and Farhad Badalbeyli, Farhad Khalilov. Today I met a relative of the late, prominent Turkologist Aydin Mammadov, and the day before I saw Elchin Efendiev and his talented daughter Gunay Efendieva, who also fills this medium with her works. This is what I had in mind when I said about the fact that cultural life is being protected and developed in Azerbaijan, there are always new names and works of art. Young people talk to, meet with poets from different countries, and this also enriches cultural environment, gives it life. It's very important.
- Overall, how do you assess literary ties between Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan?
- Of course, we have close ties, which are preserved thanks to the fact that we remember each other and contribute to continuation of our meetings.
- In 1990, you were one of the few deputies of the Supreme Council of the USSR who supported Azerbaijan during the events of Black January, and later on you did the same during the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Armenian side has been delaying resolution of the conflict for 30 years. In your opinion, how acute are issues related to this conflict?
- The will of Azerbaijani people and people who sympathize with Azerbaijan, of course, is demonstrated in many forms, especially diplomatic. The fact that Karabakh is not recognized by the UN is very important: not a single country calls Karabakh a part of Armenia, only Armenia itself does that. Someday, this conflict will be resolved, I hope this will happen without resumption of war.
- What is Kazakhstan for you? Considering the fact that you're familiar with President of Kazakhstan, Kasym-Zhomart Tokaev, how do you see the future of your country?
- I hope that a new time is coming, the time of not only powerful people of this world, but also the time of smart people.