Armenian Republican Party issues statement on charge brought against Serzh Sargsyan
The Executive Body of the Republican Party of Armenia has issued a statement on the charge brought up against President of the Republican Party of Armenia, third President of the Republic of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan, News.am reports.
The statement reads as follows:
“We have always voiced our concerns over the processes that have unfolded after power was seized in Armenia, particularly the current situation in the country, the injustice, the political persecution, the violation of fundamental liberties, the inadmissibility of an atmosphere of hatred and intolerance, as well as the security challenges facing Armenia and Artsakh, the weakening of the Armenian side’s positions in the process of negotiations over the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the risks posing a threat to the two Armenian states amid the regional and geopolitical developments.
The activities of the Republican Party of Armenia are exclusively targeted at protection of national and state interests, the strengthening of democratic values and the observance of constitutionality in the country.
The activities of the Republican Party of Armenia in domestic and foreign political affairs are making the incumbent regime convulsive, and this was particularly seen after the well-known speech that the leader of the Republican Party of Armenia gave in Zagreb where he touched upon issues related to the vital interests of the Armenian people and gave clear evaluations, including evaluations of Armenia’s foreign policy.
Today, it was announced that the Special Investigation Service of the Republic of Armenia has brought a charge against President of the Republican Party of Armenia, third President of the Republic of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan.
Taking into consideration the fact that the charge is phony and nonsensical, we declare the following:
1. We deem the charge brought against Serzh Sargsyan to be an exclusively flagrant manifestation of political persecution.
2. The aim of this procedure is to silence political opponents on the background of the dangers posing a threat to Armenia and Artsakh, including in the context of the latest developments in the process of negotiations over the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
3. With such brutal actions, the authorities have set the goal to distract the attention of the Armenian people from several other problems that are increasing on a daily basis.
4. These primitive tricks with regard to national issues under the proclaimed “fight against corruption” are doomed to failure because the Republican Party of Armenia, other political parties and the public will show unwavering resistance.
5. The populist and authoritarian regime, which has seized power in Armenia, is fully responsible for this process.
6. The Republican Party of Armenia will speak out about this issue and the developments related to the issue on relevant international platforms and in relevant international formats.”