Erdogan confirms possibility of new military operation in Syria
Turkey is ready to launch a new military campaign in northern Syria, if there is a threat to the country's borders, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
"Presently, negative processes are underway in Syria. In case they lead to a threat to our borders, we will respond the same way as during the Euphrates Shield operation,” Erdogan told the Russian Izvestia newspaper.
Turkey launched Operation Euphrates Shield in northern Syria, aimed at combating the ISIS terror group on August 24, 2016. Since then the Turkish-led forces have driven ISIS from a number of settlements in northern Syria. In March, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim announced the successful completion of the operation, adding that Ankara could launch a new one in case of fresh security threats.