Erdogan warns of 'propaganda' as Turkey earthquake death toll rises
The death toll from a strong earthquake that rocked eastern Turkey climbed to 31 on Sunday morning as rescue crews searched for people who remained trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings, officials said, Euronews reports.
Speaking at a televised news conference, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said earlier in the day that 18 people were killed in Elazig province, where Friday night's quake was centered, and four in neighboring Malatya. The national disaster agency later updated the total with nine more casualties.
Some 1,556 people were injured, with 34 of them in intensive care but not in critical condition, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.