Hamas denies reports of its readiness for ceasefire with Israel

Hamas denies reports of its readiness for ceasefire with Israel

The Hamas movement that controls the Gaza Strip denies reports about its presumed readiness for ceasefire with Israel, the Dunya Al Watan news portal said, citing Izzat al-Rishq, a Hamas political bureau member.

"No agreement has been reached. There have been no exact timeframe for the ceasefire as well," he said. "Mediator efforts and contacts continue without cease."

An official source in Cairo said on Tuesday that Egypt had put forward a proposal for Israelis and Palestinians to cease fire starting from 06:00 local time on Thursday, May 20. "Cairo has put forward a proposal to cease fire from 06:00 local time (coincides with Moscow time) on Thursday, May 20, in coordination with the U.S. administration. We are waiting for the Palestinian factions and the government of Israel to respond, and expect military operations to be stopped at the end of this week," TASS cited the source as saying.

According to the official, an Egyptian delegation on security matters was to depart to Tel Aviv for talks with Israeli colleagues. Contacts with the Palestinian side are maintained as well, but no visit to Gaza has been scheduled so far due to ongoing air strikes.

According to Al Arabiya, the United States and the European Union, as well as Palestinian factions, support Egypt’s ceasefire initiative. Israel, however, has not yet responded to the proposal.

The TV channel reported that an Israeli delegation has been invited to Cairo for consultations on the ceasefire initiative.

5455 views


Vestnik Kavkaza

in Instagram

Subscribe



Populars