Iran calls U.S. claim of downed drone a "big lie," vows to secure Strait of Hormuz itself
Iran denied again Wednesday that a U.S. warship brought down at least one of its drones in the Persian Gulf last week, CBS News reports.
U.S. Central Command chief Gen Kenneth McKenzie told CBS News' David Martin on Tuesday, in an interview aboard the USS Boxer amphibious assault ship, that the vessel took "decisive action" against two Iranian drones. "We are confident we brought down one drone, (and) we may have brought down a second," McKenzie said.
Iran's Defense Minister Gen. Amir Hatami dismissed the claims, however, telling reporters Wednesday that when Iran shot down a U.S. drone last month it shared images of the wreckage to verify it.
"If someone claims, he should provide evidence," Hatami said, insisting "none of our drones have been intercepted."
The commander of the Iran's elite Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) echoed the sentiment, challenging U.S. officials to provide any evidence proving their claim to have brought down Iranian drones.
"I officially declare that no Iranian or IRGC drone has been downed," Major General Hossein Salami told reporters. "I strongly assert that it is a big lie, and we have proved it too. We have proved whatever we have done and enemies should prove their claims as well."