Iran withdraws lawsuit on deliveries of Russian S-300
Russia has received confirmation from the Iranian side on the withdrawal of the lawsuit against 'Rosoboronexport' on deliveries of S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems, the Minister of Industry and Trade of Russia Denis Manturov announced today on the program 'Vesti on Saturday with Sergey Brilev' on the TV channel 'Russia 1'.
"We have confirmation from the Iranian side on the withdrawal of this lawsuit. I think it will take place in the near future," TASS quoted him as saying.
As a source in the military-technical cooperation informed today, deliveries of Russian air defense missile systems to Iran will begin in January 2016.
"The process of delivery of the first regiment of S-300PMU-2 is scheduled to begin in January and be completed in February of the next year. Iran should receive the second regiment of these systems in August-September of 2016," the source said, adding, "Thus, Russia will fulfill its obligations on the supply of S-300PMU-2 to Iran."
Russian presidential aide on military-technical cooperation (MTC) Vladimir Kozhin reported about the beginning of deliveries of S-300 to Iran in early December. "The contract is in effect, deliveries are starting," he said, responding to a corresponding question. Information about the deliveries of S-300 to Tehran was confirmed by the Iranian ambassador to Russia, Mehdi Sanai.
As reported previously, the head of the state corporation 'Rostec' (which includes the company 'Rosoboronexport'), Sergey Chemezov, a new contract on the supply of S-300 to Iran, which came into force in early November, was concluded after Russian President Vladimir Putin lifted a ban on sales of anti-aircraft missile systems to Tehran in spring. It was reported that Iran will receive the systems in the S-300PMU-2 version.
One condition of delivery is the complete withdrawal of the corresponding lawsuit. "The thing is that this lawsuit was formed with the participation of the Majlis of the Islamic Republic of Iran. It is not a simple decision of the spiritual or political leadership – it is issue that should be resolved in the parliament," Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin noted. "There is complete understanding among the Russian and Iranian sides: the implementation of the contract is impossible without the withdrawal of the lawsuit."
Russia is counting on significant expansion of military-technical cooperation with Iran after the removal of all restrictions on supplies to this country. According to Vladimir Kozhin, we can talk about contracts worth billions of dollars.
As Kozhin stated earlier, Iran is interested in the supply of all types of Russian weapons, not just the S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems.