Paris attacks: one year later

Paris attacks: one year later

One year ago the Paris attacks of November 13 shocked the world. Gunmen and suicide bombers brought carnage to the heart of the French capital in a series of coordinated attacks targeting revelers at a concert hall, a stadium, restaurants and bars.

The events of that Friday night left 130 people dead and hundreds of others wounded. It was labelled an “act of war” by French President Francois Hollande.

In response to the attacks, which were organized by Daesh, hundreds of raids were carried out across France and then in the Belgian city of Brussels, RT reports.

France's state of emergency imposed after last year's terror attacks in Paris is likely to be extended, Prime Minister Manuel Valls sais, BBC informs. He said the measures were needed to "protect our democracy".

President Francois Hollande marked the first anniversary of the Paris attacks by unveiling plaques commemorating the victims. Starting with the Stade de France and ending with the Bataclan concert hall, Mr Hollande and the Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo visited the six sites targeted in the attacks, paying tribute to the victims.

Hollande did not speak at the sites, saying he wanted the day to focus on remembering the victims rather than on politics. Names of the victims have been read out at each site.

At the Stade de France, the son of victim Manuel Dias, the single person killed there, spoke on behalf of his Portuguese-born father, saying his father was "proof that integration is possible. Long live tolerance, long live intelligence, long live France," he said.

6735 views


Vestnik Kavkaza

in Telegram

Subscribe



Populars