Turkish earthquake death toll hits 38
The death toll rose to at least 38 people from the magnitude 6.8 earthquake that struck Turkey’s east Friday night, Turkish authorities said.
The quake also injured over 1,600 people but at least 45 survivors have been pulled alive from the rubble so far, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
More than 780 aftershocks rocked the region as over 3,500 rescue experts scrambled through wrecked buildings to reach survivors, working around the clock. Rescue teams concentrated their efforts in the city’s Mustafa Pasa neighborhood and the nearby town of Sivrice, the AP reported.
At least 104 people were receiving hospital treatment after the quake, 13 of them in intensive care, Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.