U.S. denies involvement in Natanz nuclear site attack
The United States denied involvement in an alleged act of "sabotage" targeting Iran's underground Natanz nuclear site that reportedly hobbled some of the facility's centrifuges.
White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Washington "was not involved in any manner," later adding that the Biden administration remains focused on nuclear talks that are set to resume on Wednesday with Iran and the other parties of the 2015 nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
Psaki said the U.S. has not received "any indication that attendance at the discussions" has changed following last weekend's apparent attack, in a likely reference to Iran, Anadolu Agency reported.
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif blamed Israel for this weekend’s attack on Natanz, vowing to “take revenge” for what Iranian officials are claiming was an act of “sabotage.”
Last week's indirect talks between the U.S. and Iran concluded with a senior State Department official telling reporters this week's negotiations would be focused on "clarifying what steps both sides need to take to come back into compliance."
"Our hope is that we’ll see from Iran a greater indication of what they’re prepared to do and greater indication that they will take a constructive attitude in getting there," the official said.